Song Review: mihimaru GT - Diverge

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 by Steven

Title: Diverge
Artist: mihimaru GT
Single: Diverge
Released: January 30, 2008


Review
"Diverge" is the 16th single from the hip-hop duo mihimaru GT. I had always associated mihimaru GT with hip-hop only songs and never expected such a wonderful song. I'm glad I heard this song, since I usually don't listen to music by mihimaru GT.

"Diverge" is (nearly) J-Rap free!
If you despise Japanese rap and you've heard some of mihimaru GT's songs, you might have strayed away from them like me. Whenever I hear Japanese rapping, I rarely keep listening. I usually find Japanese rapping to be cheesy and mediocre when compared to North American standards. I'm a fan of angry and poetic rapping, which I believe can only be attained through jail time and a few bullet wounds.

I honestly didn't think "Diverge" would last 20 seconds, since I've heard a few mihimaru GT songs before. However, when the rapping started at 2:46, it was already too late. I had already fallen in love with this song (figuratively speaking).

Now, what makes "Diverge" such a good song? The lead female singer, Hiroko, sings a mellow-sounding song with a classy string orchestra background mixed with the electric guitar. Hiroko's vocals are superb and kept me interested the entire song (she excellently uses deliberately off-key vocals too!). However, there is the problem with the rapping at the 2:46 mark, but I feel the rest of the song is too good for this brief rap to ruin it.

The verdict: "Diverge" is a wonderful song from mihimaru
GT. I highly recommend this song.
Lyrics
Romaji lyrics for "Diverge" will be posted when it becomes available.
Metadata
Artist: mihimaru GT
Release year: 2008
Genre: Pop
Song speed: Fast
Dominant voice: Female
Dominant language: Japanese

0 Responses to "Song Review: mihimaru GT - Diverge":