Song Review: Monkey Majik - Around the World

Posted on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 by Steven

Title: Around the World
Artist: Monkey Majik
Single: Around the World
Released: February 22, 2006


Review
The song starts off with some attitude by saying, "I want to fight your brother, let's kung fuu!" I'll continue this attitude by describing why I don't think "Around the World" works. Perhaps it's because I've heard too many remixes of this song or the song itself doesn't sound too great to begin with, but I hardly think this song represents the godliness of Monkey Majik. I'll get to the point quickly:

Things that annoyed me
  1. The instrumentals are awfully repetitive and sound horridly boring at times. Some more interesting guitar please!
  2. Some vocals include higher pitched singing, which just ruins my mind. I'm not a fan of male singers using high pitched voices (and neither should you).
  3. Maynard and Blaise Plant, please stop rapping. I will get people to sign a petition if I have to. Any attempt to do so with unpoetical lyrics just sounds lame. You've got a long way to go before Dr. Dre signs you.

Things I can live with
  1. The music video for "Around the World" can be described as a drug trip. You can imagine how the quality of this song, when the complements are on the music video and not the song itself. If that appears strange, feel free to read some Leah Dizon song reviews.
  2. The use of English and Japanese is smooth and natural. Unlike some other Jpop artists who insert English for seemingly no reason, Monkey Majik does this correctly.
The verdict: "Around the World" lacks the essential style of a Monkey Majik song. It just doesn't work for me.

Lyrics
Here are the romaji lyrics for you to sing along with:
Every night I look to the skies And wonder what we did
Always a naive point of view that breaks us in the end
If I could find the meaning of it all I’d take the chance
Maybe in time We’ll walk the mile and change it if we can

It’s now and always (How did we get this far)
Always (We’re making a brand new start)
Always (Nothing will hold me down)
Always (Wave goodbye to me!)

Around the world atarashii kotoni
Around the world fumidasu chikara de
Around the world sekai wa kawaru sa
But don’t run away ’cause if it’s not OK!
I’ll change that world Into something better honey!

Rettsu - kanfu!

hateshinaku hirogaru kono michi wo
bokura wa mata aruki tsuzukeru sa
subete no imi ga wakaru no nara ba
kono hitomi (me) de nani wo mitsumeru no darou

It’s now and always (How did we get this far)
Always (We’re making a brand new start)
Always (Nothing will hold me down)
Always (Wave goodbye to me!)

Around the world kimi dake no tame ni
Around the world sagashi tsuzukeru yo
Around the world kiseki no kakera wo
But don’t run away ’cause if it’s not OK!

And you know it’s gonna be raining
And you know it’s gonna be hard
As long as we trust each other
Nothing gonna break apart Oh No!No!
If ya wanna be somebody
Get up on ya feet and go
I know we’re gonna meet each other
Somewhere around the globe

Around the world itsu demo jibun ni
Around the world make te iru hitowa
Around the world nai mo tsukame nai
But don’t run away ’cause if it’s not OK!
But don’t run away ’cause if it’s not OK!
I’ll change that world Into something better honey!

Source: http://www.lyricstime.com/monkey-majik-around-the-world-lyrics.html
Metadata
Artist: Monkey Majik
Release year: 2006
Genre: Pop
Song speed: Fast
Dominant voice: Male
Dominant language: English and Japanese

0 Responses to "Song Review: Monkey Majik - Around the World":