Song Review: Utada Hikaru - Stay Gold

Posted on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 by Steven

Title: Stay Gold
Artist: Utada Hikaru
Single: Stay Gold
Released: February 20, 2008
Here is the radio ripped version of "Stay Gold"

Review
I guess you can call it desperate, but I really can't wait for the music video or single to come out before I hear my first 2008 Utada Hikaru song. There are some low quality radio rips on youtube for your sampling pleasure. Also, JPOPSUKI has a 128kbps radio rip, which is significantly better in quality.

One great thing about Utada songs, is they sound great even when they are ripped from the radio and played at a 32kbps bit rate. I can guarantee (although not legally binding) that this ripped song will sound better than any Leah Dizon song ripped at 320 kbps. Why? Because Utada's voice is unquestionably powerful and versatile. No sound compression can suppress her vocal capabilities. Have I offended some Leah Dizon fans out there? If you're angry, I recommend you redirect your anger towards a more positive use. Viciously click on the google ads on my sidebar until your rage subsides.

Don't assume I'm biased towards Utada (I'm not an official member of the Utada Hikaru fan club), I do hate some of her songs with a passion.

Good News
  1. The piano is undoubtedly the song's hook for me as I believe it is extremely well played. There is a nice piano solo at the beginning, middle, and end to keep you occupied. It's also interesting that the piano follows Utada's pace and pitch. When Utada sings quickly and higher pitched, the piano's pace speeds up and uses higher pitches. When Utada sings slower and lower pitched, the piano's pace slows down and uses lower pitches. I can only describe it as a duet.
  2. English phrases, such as "My Darling, Stay Gold," "Good Night," and "Good Luck" are perfectly inserted into the song without breaking the flow. The English neither sounds strange or forced. A nice bonus for the people who don't understand Japanese and like to sing along.
  3. I think it goes without saying that Utada's voice is incredibly smooth and relaxing. She varies her singing of words to prevent boredom (and I guess to show that she can do it damn well).

Bad News
  1. Unless you understand Japanese there are times in "Stay Gold" when her singing can get rather boring when you have absolutely no clue what she's saying.
  2. The piano really steals the show here. I don't think this song would be interesting if it weren't for the piano. Utada's vocals alone isn't enough to get the job done here.
  3. The chorus isn't spectacular, the vocals sound pretty generic after some repetition. If you listen to this song a few times, you might start noticing this too.

The verdict: a great way to start 2008. "Stay Gold" is definitely an outstanding song from Utada Hikaru. I highly recommend this song.
Lyrics
Here are the romaji lyrics for "Stay Gold," so feel free to sing along:

Daisuki dakara zutto
Nannimo shinpai iranaiwa
My Darling, Stay Gold
Mujakini waratte kudasaina
Itsumademo...

Anata no hitomi no oku ni hisomu shounenn
Watashi no honnou kusugutte yamanai
Aah douka sonomama
Good Luck

Kanashii koto ha kitto
Konosakinimo ippai aruwa
My Darling, Stay Gold
Kizutsuku koto mo daijidakara

Daisuki dakara zutto
Nannimo shinpai iranaiwa
My Darling, Stay Gold
Mujakini waratte kudasaina
Itsumademo...

Shuushoku mo kimatte
Asondebakari irarenaine
Otona no joushiki ya chie mi ni tsukeru no mo ii
Aah Kyou ha konomama
Good Night

Kawariyuku no ga
Hito no kokoro no tsune dato iimasuga
Ne daarin Your Soul
Yasashiku kagayaki tsuzukeruwa

Daisuki dakara zutto
Nannimo shinpai iranaiwa
My Darling, Stay Gold
Mujakini waratte kudasaina
Itsumademo...

Daisuki dakara zutto
Nannimo shinpai iranaiwa
My Darling, Stay Gold
Mujakini waratte iraretara
Itsunohimo...

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HebpA4wkC8o

Metadata
Artist: Utada Hikaru
Release year: 2008
Genre: Pop
Song speed: Fast
Dominant voice: Female
Dominant language: Japanese

2 Responses to "Song Review: Utada Hikaru - Stay Gold":

Anonymous says:

thank for the lyric it s a wonderful song

Excel says:

You, my dear, are totally going on my Google Bookmarks. x3